Skip to Main Content
Navigated to Admissions: General Information.

Admissions: General Information

Requirements for Admission

An applicant for admission to Hunter College as a matriculated student in any of the master’ s programs must meet the following minimum requirements in order to be considered: (For admission to the School of Social Work, see Silberman School of Social Work  section of this catalog.)

  1. The student must hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution, comparable in standard and content to a bachelor’s degree from Hunter College. Degrees granted on the basis of work completed at institutions which are not fully accredited, or on the basis of nonacademic prior learning, test scores, and other than organized supervised course work in academic subjects may not be considered comparable.

  2. The student must demonstrate ability to pursue graduate work successfully. In general, the minimum requirements for consideration are an undergraduate average of B in the area in which the student wishes to specialize and an average of B minus in the undergraduate record as a whole. Applicants are required to submit official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended other than Hunter College.

  3. For admission in the School of Arts and Sciences, the student is usually required to present at least 18 credits of previous work in the area of specialization acceptable to the school or department concerned and two letters of reference. See specific program descriptions for additional requirements. For admission to the School of Education, the student is usually required to present at least 36 credits of previous liberal arts and science courses and a liberal arts or science major of at least 30 credits. See specific program descriptions for detailed requirements.

  4. Competency Examinations

    Aptitude test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required of most applicants to the School of Arts and Sciences, the School of Education and the School of Health Professions. See specific program descriptions regarding this requirement. It is not required for the School of Nursing.

Applicants should write directly to:
Graduate Record Examination, Educational Testing Service
Box 6000, Princeton, NJ 08541-6000
(609) 771-7670
for full information and arrangements to take the test. The GRE should be taken no later than February for fall admission and September for spring admission. The Hunter College institution code is 2301.

English Language proficiency is required of all applicants whose native language is not English and/or who have taken all or part of their post-secondary education in a country where English is not the native language. Such applicants, regardless of country of citizenship or U.S. permanent resident status, must take this examination. Hunter College accepts the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Testing System (IELTS) or Pearson PTE exams as proof of English Language proficiency depending on the particular program. Depending on the program selected, an applicant may also be required to take the TWE (Test of Written English) and the TSE (Test of Spoken English), also administered by the Educational Testing Service.Applicants should plan to take these examination(s) at least nine months before their intended date of enrollment. Information about TOEFL, TWE, and TSE can be obtained at (609) 771-7100- The Hunter College institution code is 2301. Information about IETLS can be obtained at Information about Person PTE can be obtained at