Skip to Main Content
Navigated to Scholarships and Grants.

Scholarships and Grants

General Information: Scholarships and Grants

A number of student scholarships and fellowships are available from Hunter College and the Hunter College Foundation; these are in addition to the various federal and state grants and loans outlined in the Financial Aid section of this catalog. 

Among the awards available to students are the Presidential Grants and Scholarships supported by the office of the Hunter College president. Guidelines for these awards are contained in “Hunter College Grant Competitions,” a publication of the college Research Administration, 1424 East Building, 772-4020.

Information about grants, fellowships, and scholarships can be obtained from the Office of Student Services (11th floor, East Building, 772-4878).

Departmental Award

Scholarships and other awards are available through individual academic departments. Interested students can obtain information directly from their department.

The George N. Shuster Master’s Thesis Award

Contact school deans’ offices for further information.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships may be available in some departments and are awarded to master’ s and doctoral students on the basis of academic qualifications. The duties of graduate assistants may include teaching, research, laboratory work, graduate program administration and similar assignments as specified by the academic department. Students should contact their graduate advisers about such opportunities.

School of Social Work: Tuition Assistance

Loans and Scholarships from the Dorothy and Alfred Silberman Fund are the principal source of tuition assistance available to students at the School of Social Work. These grants are based primarily on financial need.  In addition, various public and voluntary agencies and foundations provide some assistance in the form of scholarships and stipends. Inquiries concerning School of Social Work sponsored financial assistance should be addressed to The Enrollment Management Office, Silberman School of Social Work at Hunter College, 2180 Third Avenue, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10035.

School of Health Professions: Tuition Assistance

Various forms of financial assistance are available to students in the Hunter-Bellevue School of Nursing and the School of Health Professions, both located at 425 East 25th Street, New York, NY 10010. For information, contact the schools directly.


External Scholarships

Other fellowship awards may be available through government and private organizations. For study in the fields of the art, humanities and social sciences, students may apply for the Jacob K. Javits Fellowship, For study in the fields of the social sciences and physical and natural sciences, students may apply for the National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, Information on other scholarships from outside organizations are listed in the Grants Guide, available in the Office of Student Services, Room 1119 East or online at: